Friday, October 19, 2007

In Town Football Rivals, Red and Black vs. Green and White

The evening started off with my good friend Twyla (the Central Junior High Cheer Coach) and I going to a Native American Pow Wow. We were only able to stay for 15 minutes or so, but it was neat to experience something from a different culture. We then went on to have a tailgating party with the Central Junior High School Cheerleaders.
In Lawrence, there are two high schools that are obviously rivals. You have Lawrence High School and Free State High School. When LHS and FSHS play each other in football, all of the cheerleaders from the four junior high schools in Lawrence learn the cheers of the high schools and spend the first half cheering with one highschool and the second half cheering with the other school. It was a lot of fun. The atmosphere was filled with excitement. It brought back a lot of memories of when I was in high school and I participated in the football games by being in the marching band. As I was people watching, it caused me to reflect on the behavior of some of these kids and wonder if I acted the way that some of them acted when I was in high school. Sad to say, that yes...the drama was there. Looking back now, it is kind of funny to see how much I have matured since those high school days. I also realized that it has been about ten years since I have been to a high school football game. Time sure does fly. Free State High School won 27-0. High school football is so much more exciting than Junior High football.


Tailgating Party with Central Junior High School Cheerleaders.


Lawrence High School Cheerleaders and Free State High School Band.


Twyla and Erin.

No comments: